1. The visitors here are greatly impressed by the fact that _____ people from all walks of life are working hard for _____ new Ma’anshan.
A.; a B. ;the C. the; a D. the; the
2. _____, a small advertisement held my attention, which read “Easy job. Good wages. No experience necessary.”
A. Looking through the newspaper
B. While I was looking through the newspaper
C. To look through the newspaper
D. I was looking through the newspaper
3. Hard work, however, does not necessarily _____ much achievement or honor which is expected by someone.
A. stand up for B. come up with C. go after D. result in
4. _____ the aid from the government, the earthquake-stricken area _____ greater loss.
A. Apart from; should have suffered B. But for; would have suffered
C. Thanks to; could suffer D. Except for; would have suffered
5. I doubt if it is _____ for you to read that book again.
A. worth B. worthy C. worthwhile D. valuable
6. _____ her work for the sake of the family years ago, she would be as successful as her husband now.
A. Would she not give up B. If she didn’t give up
C. Had she not given up D. Should she not give up
7. It seems as though the sun _____ round the earth since it rises in the east and sets in the west.
A. circles B. is circling C. has been circling D. were circling
8. If the present unemployment _____ continue, the society would face a more difficult situation.
A. would B. should C. might D. could
9.The climate conference was attended by 11, 000 people, _____ it the largest UN gathering ever held.
A. making B. to make C. made D. to be making
10. The sorry-looking, blackened figure that _____, at once admitted that he had tried to break into the shop during the night but had got stuck in the chimney.
A. ceased B. absorbed C. revealed D. emerged
11. --- Why was the suspect set free?
--- For lack of _____ evidence.
A. solid B. apparent C. ambiguous D. concrete
12. _____ we know that diligent ants live in a highly organized society, it does nothing to prevent us from being filled with disgust when we find they are crawling over a carefully prepared picnic lunch.
A. Unless B. While C. Provided that D. Where
13. — Would you like tea or coffee?
— _____, just a cup of water.
A. Either B. Both C. Neither D. Each
14. —Catherine, I have cleaned the room for you.
—Thanks. You _____ it. I could manage it myself.
A. needn’t do B. needn’t have done
C. mustn’t do D. shouldn’t have done
15. We’ll get you informed of the meeting the moment the manager becomes _____.
A. accessible B. useful C. available D. convenient
16. Ten years ago the population of our village was _____ that of theirs.
A. as twice large as B. twice as large as
C. twice as much as D. as twice much as
17. In the cinema, there was an old man _____ beside me.
A. sat B. sit C. sitting D. to sit
18. The multinational corporation is making a take-over _____ for a property company.
A. application B. bid C. proposal D. suggestion
19. —I’m surprised to hear that Sue and Paul have _____.
—So am I. They seemed very happy together when I last saw them.
A. broken up B. finished up C. divided up D. closed up
20. — Do you think you could do without help?
— _____. This is not the first time for me.
A. Take care B. Hurry up C. Not exactly D. Don’t worry
21. — Are the two dresses of the same size and price?
— Yes. You may take _____, if you like.
A. everyone B. all C. each D. either
22. In this new city, we everyone will meet the _____ when we don’t know what to do.
A. occasion B. statement C. place D. information
23. The school board has _____ teachers to spare no effort to help the students who have fallen behind in studies.
A. looked into B. turned into C. called for D. cared for
24. Although this kind of vegetable tastes _____, yet it is rich in nutrition and good for your health.
A. bitter B. bitterly C. delicious D. deliciously
25. Jack was late for nearly two hours this morning but he gave such important reasons _____ he was excused.
A. why B. that C. when D. how
26. A terrible thought _____ Mr. Smith when he was leaving for work: what if an accident happened while his son was alone at home?
A. insured B. freed C. attacked D. struck
27. — I feel it necessary that everything _____ by the time our manager arrives.
— Yes, to make sure the conference is held on schedule.
A. is ready B. will be ready C. be ready D. has been ready
28. The stranger _____ to walk into the building in the early morning was probably a salesman.
A. seen B. to see C. to be seen D. seeing
29. With piles of work at hand, Jane doubts _____ she can pass the coming driving test.
A. that B. whether C. where D. when
30. Little Jim _____ to my home after he broke my mobile phone by accident.
A. dared not to come B. didn’t dare come
C. dared not come D. didn’t dare coming
31. _____ the duty of taking good care of my parents, I have decided to work in Quanzhou, which is close to my hometown.
A. To consider B. Considering
C. Considered D. To have considered
32. I wondered why John kept it a secret. It was not until he _____ three times that he told me the truth.
A. asked B. was asking C. had asked D. had been asked